Sunday, October 14, 2007

Farewell Flickr (for now) & Hello Bloglines!

Flickr is not an intuitively easy experience for me. All those photos! All of those different applications and mashups! Can't handle it right now. Images and graphics have always given me trouble, so I shouldn't have expected Things 5-6-7 to be easy. I've decided to move on and come back to them and finish those up later. So I've moved on to Thing 8. Now here's a techie thing with some meaning. I like--no, LOVE--RSS feeds simply for the elimination of spam and for the ability to target updated information in areas of one's specific interests. The Discovery Resources were clear and easy to follow. I set up my Bloglines account and subscribed to 13 newsfeeds that I found through various ways. Initially I used the Bloglines Directory to find several feeds--including 3 library feeds. I subscribed to two feeds from the publicly shared bloglines feeds of two colleagues. I researched RSS feeds dealing with reference services and used the RSS/XML icon on those sites to add them to my feeds. It's easy to see how this technology can be used in one's personal life to streamline access to the Internet sites one visits every day--the news sites, the weather, joke or word of the day. Same goes for one's professional work. For those of us in the library world this would be a way to target the most relevant newsfeeds about technology or reference work or whatever area of library work with which we are involved. Taking advantage of this technology for our library work with the public is a little harder to see. If we were to allow RSS linking from our website, our patrons could zero in on what's happening at the Library. They could see what new materials are added and get notices of new items that match their reading preferences. If we generated a podcast or a webcast of how to use a reference database, they could add those to their feeds, right? Ok, so the last part of Thing 8 is to link to my public bloglines account so I can prove I did it. Check my feeds out at:
http://www.bloglines.com/public/dvicarel

No comments: