Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thing 22 -- NetLibrary

I've had a NetLibrary account since 2003. Admittedly, I've done little with it, having created the account to learn about the new materials format our Library began offering then. At that time, Overdrive AudioBooks weren't offered. I seem to remember the ability to download the software to my own staff computer, but it's not possible now. I've explored NetLibrary directly as well as from the PLYMC site--finding a wide range of reading levels and genres. I even found what I think is a typo on Digital Books page. Are not "Children's Fiction," "Fantasy," "General Fiction," "Horror," and "Mystery" fiction, rather than non-fiction? And what's with the blind link for the category of "Humor?" I like both the browsing and searching fuctions of this resource. Read some excerpts from Anderson Cooper's Dispatches from the Edge and look forward to sampling the audiobook when I get my MP3 player. Also think the Publicly-Accessible eBooks from the NetLibrary site are a neat feature. I examined a book entitled Combat Search and Rescue in Desert Storm (only because it was towards the top of the list when I sorted for most recent titles in English--but hey, there's a connection to Anderson Cooper, right?) One of the neatest developments for our Library is the addition of the Gale Virtual Reference Library for remotely accessible reference books. IMHO this is one of the greatest advantages of e-books--that our reference collection (at least for now a small part of it) is available 24/7. Way cool!

No comments: